Sunday, December 30, 2007

Using StumbleUpon to Generate Traffic


Do you have a StumbleUpon account? I do. This month it brought in the majority of my site's traffic. I'm not exactly a pro when it comes to this SEO stuff but I figured I'd try a little experiment. Here's what I did.

My website had been in a partial phase of completion for the last six months. I figured it was finally time to finish the build. It took a little while but I was able to squeeze it in between projects. Once it was finished I was so proud, naturally I wanted to get the word out. I figured Stumble was as good a way as any so I grabbed a couple of images I thought might generate some interest and popped them up on my Stumble page .

The initial results were very encouraging. Each time I posted a new image I would get a bump in traffic. By the end of the month I had gone from 133 unique visitors (in November) to 1290 (in December). Not such a bad thing.

Now here's the catch (and there are two of them) Stumble is not a passive site. What I mean is you have to interact. The more you interact the better your results. Catch number two... you can't review the same site over and over again. I guess the idea is to offer as many different websites as possible (I will be trying a new site called MIXX next month, that does let you do just that....I'll let you know how it goes).

I am by no means an expert on Stumble but if you would like to find out more about it I would strongly encourage you to head over there and start playing with it. One word of caution: Stumble can become quite addictive so use your time wisely.

No comments: